Notes from the Pfizer Webinar Series
Pfizer Webinar Series
On Friday August 6, 2010, Don E. Moore, JR conducted a Pfizer webinar discussing outcomes assessments. For detailed notes and information from the Pfizer webinar, please see below.
Webcast: Pfizer First Friday Webinar Series: Outcomes Assessment
Date: Friday, August 6, 2010
Presenter: Don E. Moore, Jr., Ph.D
Planning & Assessment Framework for CME Planners
- Start each activity by defining a logical assessment process:
– Start with the end in mind. “Backwards” planning starts with the needs assessment
– Best practice planning begins with examining a community health gap (not just a physician practice gap)
– It’s important to define the type of gap: Performance gap? Knowledge gap? Competence gap? Administrative and patient issues should also be considered.
- Outcomes Planning:
-Think about the outcomes you would like to see and realize that different outcomes require different approaches in planning.
– Best practice uses health records as objective measures to examine changed practice and/or surveys or case-based questions as subjective measures
- Consider physician learning stages when planning activities and formats:
- Provide opportunities for practice and feedback
- Ideal methods of reinforcement:
Traveling competence teams
– Why do pilots need to go through a certain number of simulation hours before they can be licensed? Shouldn’t physicians have to do the same?
- Implement, Monitor, and Evaluate with “Plan, Do, Study, Act” format
– Planning, Implementation, and Outcomes Assessment should be a circular process to improve CME over time, with Outcomes Assessments revealing further practice needs or directing planners to address leftover gaps.
– Ideal follow-up would track learners at 3, 6, 9, and 12 months
- Successful program elements can be identified and incorporated into other CME activities.
Recognize need for improvement→
Take ownership for improvement→
Incorporate what was learned into practice→
– To insure that the knowledge will transfer to the learner’s daily practice, the guidance must be practice-based
As always, if you have any questions about issues in the CME enterprise, or about the Pfizer Webinar, feel free to contact us here For Global, I’m Stephen Lewis. Have a great day